Position Title: Executive Director
Employer: Soil and Water Conservation Society
Location: Ankeny, Iowa, in the greater Des Moines metropolitan area
About the Soil and Water Conservation Society
The Soil and Water Conservation Society (SWCS) is a nonprofit scientific and educational organization, founded in 1943, that serves as an advocate for conservation professionals and for science-based conservation practice, programs, and policy. SWCS has 5,000 members around the world. They include researchers, administrators, planners, policymakers, technical advisors, teachers, students, farmers, and ranchers. Our members come from nearly every academic discipline and many different public, private, and nonprofit institutions. The SWCS chapters throughout the United States and Canada represent the grassroots element of the organization and conduct a variety of activities at local, state, and provincial levels and on university campuses. For more information, go to www.swcs.org.
The SWCS mission is to foster the science and art of natural resource conservation. Our work targets conservation of soil, water, and related natural resources on working land—the land used to produce food, fiber, and other services that improve the quality of life people experience in rural and urban communities. We pursue our mission through a combination of research, education, and advocacy. Our ongoing activities and special projects are designed to:
· Improve the practice of conservation by fostering the development of state-of-the-art conservation practices and systems.
· Improve conservation policy by bringing science and professional judgment to bear in shaping local, state, provincial, and federal policy.
· Enhance the capabilities of conservationists through training and professional development.
· Sustain the ethic and spirit of professionalism among conservationists through networking and mutual support.
The Soil and Water Conservation Society is seeking an individual who is committed to the conservation mission and who will provide strong leadership to the organization. This individual will be responsible for all aspects of the program, budget, and staffing. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and serves as a key spokesperson for the organization.
Leadership roles and responsibilities of the Executive Director:
· Serve as the face of SWCS
· Ensure continuing credibility of SWCS in conservation science, policy, and practice
· Identify special projects that support the mission and oversee the projects as they are carried out
· Identify, initiate, develop, and implement fund-raising programs, including marketing, grant writing, and cultivation of foundation funding
· Empower, complement, and respect current expert senior staff team
· Oversee the governance of the Board and overall society operations
· Be accountable to the Board for the above roles and responsibilities
Demonstrated ability to effectively:
· Lead and empower staff
· Organize and lead projects
· Work with people and organizations with diverse backgrounds
· Work in a multi-disciplinary environment
· Communicate the importance of the mission to diverse conservation and policy audiences
· Develop technical and policy reports
· Manage the development and implementation of the annual budget
· Demonstrate commitment to the mission of SWCS and not-for-profit organizations
· Influence conservation stakeholders at the national and international level
· Organize efforts to secure funds to support the mission
· See the “big picture”
· Demonstrate commitment to the SWCS mission
· Respect the vocations of SWCS members
· Value discourse and debate
· Lead as an informed risk taker
· Respect the partnership with Board and staff
Applicants should provide the following information electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Cover letter, including why you want to be involved, ability to travel, salary history
· List of publications and key accomplishments
· Professional references
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis beginning immediately. The position may be filled at any time and will remain open until filled.
For more information about the position, please contact SWCS President Peggie James at 608-574-4894 or email@example.com.
About Ankeny and Des Moines, Iowa
For more information about Ankeny, go to http://www.ci.ankeny.ia.us
For more information about Des Moines, go to http://www.ci.des-moines.ia.us
Fostering the art and science of natural resource management for sustainability.